A View from the sun

A View from the sun

Friday, November 13, 2015

Luke Cage, Black Panther and Storm in Kamau Atem's Marvel Spec. Script Excerpt




 I'm a harlem born and bred scriptwriter and novelist. I'm sharing this with you because it would be a dream come true to actually pen a Luke Cage or Panther script...And because well its really good. Enjoy!









CUT TO: NYC HARLEM. NIGHT. The cloaked panther jet lands across from the offices of Luke Cage Private Investigator. CUT TO: INTERIOR. Cage wearing the GOLD  SHIRT AND BLUE PANTS notices sounds walks to window and witnesses Panther and Storm appear out of thin air in seriously handsome and stylish clothes.

CAGE
(Whistling)
            Sweeeeeeeet Christmas. That’s a woman.
(Sits down at his desk)
            They here for somebody else.
(Agitated and shuffling papers)
Now why you tell that lie?
(Getting up and walking to the window again-back to door)
 I don’t care what they say I’m not doing it.

ANGLE ON DOOR. Panther and Storm walk in.

PANTHER
Mr….

CAGE
(Agitated and without turning around)
You asking or telling?

PANTHER
            Do you greet everyone so enthusiastically?

CAGE
            You tell me…

STORM
            We are here for you…You are in business are you not?

CAGE
            Again. You asking or you telling?

PANTHER
            Perhaps he is not the man we seek…

CAGE
            And now we understand the question. Are you asking or telling?

PANTHER
(Turning)
            I believe we may go. This is beneath us.

STORM
(Stopping the Panther)
            Why does it matter…

CAGE
Where I’m from…You come to a man’s home. You ask questions and don’t talk like you telling somebody where to put they furniture.

STORM
            He’s a king. He really can’t help it.

CAGE
            Ain’t no kings round here.

CLOSE ON CAGE. His eyes narrow as he focuses on the street. He suddenly takes his very nice shirt off.

CAGE
(Opening  the window,  grabbing a heavy chain off the floor and throwing it over his shoulder)
            I knew I shouldn’t have worn a good shirt.

CAGE jumps out of the window and lands heavily as asphalt crumbles. He quickly walks into the street and punches an on coming car stopping it. Men jump out shooting at Cage.

CAGE
            Damit. Now yall know dat ISH stings!

ANGLE ON bullet flying to cage which ricochets and hits gas tank creating an explosion which flies Cage for some distance. ANGLE ON Storm and Panther watching from the window.

STORM
            Do you think we should…



PANTHER
            This is useful…

ANGLE ON CAGE RISING AS IF TO WALK THROUGH THE FLAMES. His pants are in tatters, boots half blown off. He walks to his chain and picks it up.
STORM

PANTHER
(v.o.)
            Every man needs help…

TIGHT ON CAGE GRIMACE.

CAGE
(Calmly)
Yall mothasuckers gon’ make me curse.

PANTHER
(v.o.)
Perhaps but it is when a man needs help most that he finds what kind of man is.

CAGE
            Now yall know I done tole you that Harlem is mine. You ain’t welcome here.

Cage throws the chain and drops two of them. The other two run more than they shoot.

CAGE
Oh, don’t MAKE me run. Worse than fat dunking donuts eating pigs when I gotta do t       hat…

PANTHER takes off his trench and takes off his hat revealing the Panther costume and drops out the window landing cat like on one of the cars. He quickly bounds the distance and makes short work of the two remaining men. He carries them back to Cage.

PANTHER
(As storm floats down to them)
            I believe you need help.

CAGE
I was just tryna put it together. I hate running. It might not look like much But I’m eleven times denser than the normal..

STORM
            What do you weigh?

CAGE
            Kinda difficult to weigh myself..but anywhere between 450 and 500…
(As Storm looks at his tattered close)
            Also kinda hard to keep clothes in this profession. Keepin’ these thugs of my streets.

STORM
            That profession would be…

CAGE
            Private eye…but I’m more…

PANTHER
            I see…

CAGE
Mighty neighborly of you to help me with my streets…but about your help…I don’t work for free.

PANTHER
            The world is in danger. The ancestors have sent me…This is not about a cost.









CAGE
Look here. I’m a private eye. I got bills. As for free and the world in danger? You see that big building downtown with the big  A on it? They do free cause they got a billionaire wit’ a B backing them. And bout your ancestors dey ain’t pullin’ no weight round here…

PANTHER
            Perhaps I was wrong, Ororo. Let us go…

STORM
No. If he’s supposed to join us…who is to say it wasn’t as a paid member…And there’s no fee you can’t pay as the richest man on earth…

PANTHER
            It is not the fee, but the principle. Let us go…again I say.

STORM
            How much do you need…

CAGE
            Well is it super power cats we ballin’ against…

PANTHER
            We would not need were they not so.

STORM
(As Cage whispers in Storm’s ear)
            He can pay it now let’s go

PANTHER
(Turning to go men still over his shoulder)
            How much am I paying…

CAGE
            Well are you the richest man in the world or not?

PANTHER
            What is at stake makes me so but I would still like to know.

STORM
            Don’t be cheap. Millions mean nothing…

PANTHER
            Millions?

STORM
(Looking Cage up and down)
            And we’ll even throw in a life time supply of indestructible outfits…

CAGE
            And boots?

PANTHER
            How much am I paying him…

CAGE
(As he and Ororo begin to float over him)
            You ain’t missin’ a couple mill King…

PANTHER
            A COUPLE MILLION?!



CAGE
(Laughing)
            You can put them down Bruh…
(Looking up at Storm who flies ahead of him)
            Can we do that bright Yellow shirt…I like yellow. And the chain…We do a fancy chain?

PANTHER
(Putting down the brothers)
            All of that I’m sure it is just these millions…exactly how many.

STORM
            Ten exactly….

PANTHER
(Punching one of the waking men)
            Ten…Are you not a hero?

CAGE
            I’m a working man. A private eye.
(to Storm)
            He doesn’t listen good does he? Must be part of the whole King thing….

STORM
            No he never has…some how I think that was pre natal…

CAGE
            Sweeeet Christams how do you put up with it?

PANTHER
(Jumping and bounding out in front of them toward the jet)
Putting up with…

STORM
(Laughing)

            Haven’t had to and thankfully so…Mister….

CAGE
            Cage. Lucas Cage…But folks round her call me…

CLOSE ON PANTHER as he opens the jet.

PANTHER
            Power Man. And, by the ancestors, thankfully so. We will need every ounce of it.

STORM
(As she floats through the cabin)
            Home now?

PANTHER
            The ancestors have one last stop for us…

1 comment: